My Plan to Making Shit Happen
“I put the PRO in Procrastination” is one of the most relevant quotes to my life. I am so good at procrastination it should be listed on my LinkedIn profile and endorsed tenfold.
In all seriousness though, I really am a professional procrastinator and sometimes that can be reallllly bad, especially when working from home. Everything gets procrastinated which means absolutely nothing gets done. So in my endless journey of trying to become a better adult (never gonna happen), here are some tips that have helped me “evolve” if you will.
- Drink the good coffee. This is an obvious one, but coffee has different levels of caffeine. Get the good stuff and drink the strong coffee. Like the saying goes… “First I drink the coffee, then I do the things”.
- Start small. I first start with emails. I check all my emails, declutter my phone of any notifications, and make sure all important emails are either answered or flagged for my attention later.
- Plan out your day. Set a flexible plan for how you will tackle your work, tasks, errands, etc. I usually work for 2-3 hours, then go run errands and take a break, and then come back and finish up anything that’s left. I like to tackle all my easy and quick work first and then slowly move towards the more time consuming items. I am NOT a morning person so I get my “work-flow” around 11am-12pm.
- Do not multitask. I repeat… DO NOT MULTITASK. I have anxiety, like A LOT of anxiety and multitasking makes my brain feel good, but it is so ineffective. Set time blocks for each task and then keep it moving on to the next, but keep focus.
- Reward yourself. We all need the light at the end of the tunnel and a reward is just that. Set little rewards for checking things off of your to-do list. It is a great incentive to get your shit done!
Bonus step 6: Do it all over again tomorrow.